Home and car insurance hasn’t always been an affordable option for a lot of public housing tenants, but it can help cover tenants in times of unexpected hardship to get them back on their feet.


We have had recent discussions with Good Shepherd Microfinance about affordable insurance options for tenants and they have let us know about an insurance option they developed in 2015 which is tailored for people on low incomes.


It is a great option if you live in public housing and need to be insured, and has been endorsed by our Board.

Essentials by AAI
  • Insurance coverage for both Home Contents and/or Comprehensive Motor insurance, with a variety of payment options including fortnightly, monthly or annual.
  • Coverage in the event of situations like flood, fire, storm, theft or food spoilage. It can also cover temporary accommodation costs if your home is damaged.
  • Costs range between $4 per week for cover up to $10,000, to around $9 a week for cover up to $20,000.
  • You are eligible for Essentials by AAI insurance if you; have a healthcare card, receive Centrelink payments, or have an annual household income of approximately $48,000 or less.

For more detail about what this insurance option covers and how you can sign up, click here.